Offered exclusively at Brandywine Hospital
Focused on self-care management of diabetes.
The Diabetes Learning Center is an American Diabetes Association (ADA) certified program that focuses on self-care management. Our educational program empowers people with diabetes to develop a healthy lifestyle. This 10-hour program consists of three, three-hour classes and a one-hour private session with a registered dietitian and registered nurse to develop your personal assessment profile.
Our certified diabetes educators and medical staff will also offer support from a pharmacist and ophthalmologist. The one hour pre-class appointment with the dietician and the nurse educator will be scheduled in advance. Please register by calling Central Scheduling at 610-383-8760. Then check in at Outpatient Registration 30 minutes before your first appointment.
- Basic or intensive management
- Pre-diabetes management
- Insulin, Byetta or Symlin injection trainings
- Self-blood glucose monitoring
- Nutrition counseling to include carbohydrate counting and meal planning
- Weight management
- Gestational diabetes management
- Diabetes - Understanding the Disease
- Blood Glucose Monitoring
- Medication and Sick Day Management
- Exercise, Foot Care and Skin Care
- Recognizing Risk Factors
- Preventing Complications
- Eating Out and Travel
- Carbohydrate Counting/Meal Planning with ADA Guidelines
- Label Reading and Food Shopping
- Coping with Diabetes
- Community Resources
A Physician Referral
A physician referral is necessary to participate in either individual or group education and may be helpful for insurance reimbursement. Bring your physician referral with you — unless your managed-care insurance handles referrals electronically.
Insurance Information: Most insurance companies will pay all or part of this fee — please check with your insurance company. If you have any questions about insurance coverage or need to discuss payment options, contact our Financial Counseling Services at 610-466-4284 and 610-466-4032.