The Center for the Urban Child provides medical care for your child and free support services families need from time to time.
Helping You Every Step of the Way
When we first opened our doors in 1875, it was to address an unmet need in one of Philadelphia’s neighborhoods. We are proud to continue that tradition with the Center for the Urban Child. Here, we offer many of the standard services you would expect from a doctor’s office. But we do so much more. Designed to serve children from birth to age 21, and their families, we are building healthy childhoods together.
Learn more about our medical services and free resources and support to close the health gap in our community.
Preventive Care to Keep Kids Healthy
Good health begins with regularly scheduled well visits. These exams provide the opportunity for children, families, and physicians to come together to ask questions, address concerns, and get the support or guidance they need. Our pediatric preventive services include:
- Age-appropriate health screenings such as blood pressure, vision, and hearing
- Education and advice on healthy lifestyle choices
- Head-to-toe physical exam
Walk-in Sick Visits to Help Your Child Feel Better
When your child is sick, you want them to feel better as soon as possible. Our Center offers walk-in sick visits year-round, making it easier for you to get your child seen by a provider you can trust. Walk-in sick visit hours are:
- Monday to Saturday: 8:30 to 11 a.m.
- Monday to Friday: 1 to 3 p.m.
- Evening appointments are available by appointment only.
Nurses are also available to answer any questions or concerns you may have and can often help you decide if your child needs to be seen. Schedule an appointment or talk to a nurse at 215-427-5985.
Additional Health and Wellness Services
We also offer:
- Urgent care after hours. There are no off hours when it comes to children getting sick or injured. We offer urgent care services outside of office hours. Call us at 215-427-5985. A nurse or physician will return your call promptly, and, if necessary, arrange for an urgent care visit.
- Access to the best pediatric specialists. We will connect you to other care your child needs, quickly and conveniently.
- Empowerment and education. Our team educates, empowers, and motivates your child to reach their goals.
Free Services and Support for Families
Healthy bodies begin with healthy families and healthy communities. That does not always mean physical health alone. It also includes addressing the stress and worries many families sometimes face — from where their next meal will come from to fighting unfair housing restrictions.
The Center for the Urban Child works with families, caregivers, and children to remove any obstacles on their path to improving their physical, mental, and emotional health and wellness.
- Our partnership with The Children’s Advocacy Project of Philadelphia connects families, children, and teens with community resources.
- We offer development and behavioral health resources to address all aspects of your child’s health.
- Healthy families are safe families. Families, children, and teens involved in abusive relationships should call 866-SAFE-014 (866-723-3014) or 215-427-4711.
- Eating well isn’t always as easy as a trip to the grocery store. We offer farm to family programs and other food resources to ensure your family gets healthy food at a low cost. Call us at 215-910-2901.
- Understand complex health issues and get free legal advice with the Medical Legal Partnership. Lawyers are available by phone on Wednesdays at 215-587-3350.
- Keep your child healthy and injury free with our injury specialists. Call 215-587-3350.
- Find support when caring for your newborn. Moms can call 215-427-MILK (6455) for breastfeeding support and resources.
- Confident smiles for confident kids. We offer same day dental care and referrals for children. Learn more by calling 215-427-5065 or 215-427-8877.
- Reading benefits children of all ages – even babies. Our Reach Out and Read program offers free books for children, ages six months to 5 years, and advice and resources to help your child develop a lifelong love of reading.
- Secondhand smoke can pose a serious health threat to children. Get help kicking your habit with a smoking cessation program from Smoke Free Philly. Learn more by calling 215-683-LIVE.
- Our social workers are here for all families in their time of need. Call us at 215-427-5031.
- Being a teen can be tough. Our teen specialists are here to help your teen navigate the challenges they face. Call us at 215-427-3802.
- WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) program offers critical resources and support to families who need it most. Access the program on our campus by calling 215-427-6972.